Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Be Silent and Listen



I needed to prepre last Sat. for the Sunday school class I am teaching. I had to watch a Nooma video # 5 called Noise by Rob Bell. It is my first Nooma video.

Here is the video to watch for yourselves.


I had to watch it three times before I actually start teaching it. The fact that it presents is so deep. Just to record one hour of total silence required 2000 hours of record time.

The fact came to mind that we try to fill our time, our schedule our daily life with so many things. See, today I have to plan my day and before the end the day, I have to plan tomorrow and if I don’t have any thing to do, I would have to find any thing to fill my day with. We view unfilled schedule as boredom time.

If we are on the highway, we turn on the radio and we may even have the radio on while talking on the phone. If we can’t find something better to do, we watch the billboard on the highway and if there isn’t much to see, we may complain of not having any thing to look at and consumes our time.

Here is reality, we don’t have the attitude of thinking of this spare time as quality time that is an opportunity that is given to us to allow God to speak.
See, we go to church once or twice a week and during that time we speak a lot (praising and worshiping) then we listen to 30 min sermon for speaker of the day. But the video wants us to wander around trying to listen to what God have to say to us.


Do you ever wonder what He wants to say to you today? Do you want him in your life, leading it and inspiring it? So why don’t you allow him to talk and allow your self to listen?

See, if you yearn to have a close relationship with someone, you have to engage with that person in conversions and allow him to speak as much as you speak as well. When we are in love with someone, we look forward to their calls and can’t wait to get home to see them. We can't wait to have them call us and speak with us just for the sake yearning to listen to their voice on the other end of the call.

I believe that while I was teaching those kids in my Sunday school class about allowing God to speak. I have learned that I need to be silent and not only that, but also have the attitude to enjoy my silent time with him trying to listen to what He got to say in Silence.

P.S. Silent/Listen have the same letters. In order to Listen, you must be Silent. In order to be Silent, you must not talk and Listen.

3 comments:

emily freeman said...

My husband used this Nooma video a few weeks ago to share with the youth group. Powerful stuff. Thanks for the link!

Ana Degenaar said...

Hello,

I saw your comment over at Dana's blog about the Picture a Psalm contest, the last day to submit the photo is on May the 10th, here's the link for more info and the prize:

http://everydaymmoms.blogspot.com/2009/04/picture-psalm-challenge.html

Have a blessed day!

Wisdom for Today said...

Thanks for the link...I also liked the silent/listen comparison you made. Great post. We need to be quite to hear His "still small voice!"
Happy blogging--Beth